Saturday, November 12, 2011

Odd Marriage




Fall has arrived.
 
The leaves now blowing and falling from trees like huge, golden snowflakes.  Many of the trees rendered into winter, skeleton forms.
 
Cooler weather over the past couple of days has seemingly rendered the mallards of Harlem Meer into more serious, "get down to business form" as opposed to more flighty, feather pecking, chasing ways of warmer days.
 
The ducks realize now they are going to have to concentrate on eating heartily over next few weeks and conserving energy.   Winter doesn't allow for a whole lot of shenanigans.
 
But, last night, when first arriving to Harlem Meer, I could not see any ducks at all!  They were not swimming in the usual southern part of the lake. Nor, could I see any on the western portion of the Meer.
 
Don't tell me the ducks have been harassed out of here!"
 
It is unfortunate that the first thought when noticing "missing" ducks or geese is harassment, but experience has a way of altering one's normal thought patterns.
 
The fact is that Central Park used goose (and other waterfowl) harassment up until December 16th of last year.   And it was only halted then through the rest of the winter due to (my) complaint.
 
But, as matters turned out last night, the usual and initial suspicion was unwarranted. 
 
I set out to look for Brad, the flightless Rouen duck who usually finds and greets me within a few minutes of my arriving to the Meer.
 
But, after ten minutes, Brad did not show up.  So I began with my dogs to walk towards the eastern part of Harlem Meer, which is normally blocked from view by trees and winding park paths.
 
Turning the corner of one of the pedestrian paths, shock and happy surprise immediately greeted!
 
There they are!
 
Almost all the Harlem Meer ducks were lazily congregated around -- can it really be? -- FOUR Canada geese!
 
Yep, there in the middle of what appeared to be a peaceful assembly of about 50 mallards, were four beautiful, migratory Canada geese.
 
I say, "migratory" because the small family of geese were immediately wary of my and my dog's presence and moved skittishly towards the middle of the lake.
 
However, Brad and some of the mallards, recognizing me, came immediately swimming in my direction.
 
"Ah, I see you guys are hanging with the geese tonight!  OK, smart move. I get it."
 
Smiling, but not wanting to spook the geese any further, I turned back towards the western part of the Meer, while motioning a hand to Brad and the others to follow.
 
Amazingly, like a trained dog, Brad followed, swimming in the water with a small group of "die-hard" mallards behind him.
 
By the time we all arrived to the usual embankment where Brad and the mallards are used to getting their treats, there were a dozen duck pals with him.
 
I thought it very interesting however, that most of the 50 or so mallards, despite knowing me, elected to stay with the geese.
 
Security and momentary happiness is apparently more important to most mallards than food treats.
 
Hopping up on the embankment and grabbing a few handfuls of nuts, seeds and corn from my hand, Brad then returned to the water and started to swim back in the direction of the other mallards and the four visiting geese.
 
I tossed most of the other treats to the dozen mallards and then, with my dogs, followed Brad back to where most of the mallards and geese were congregated.
 
Careful to walk very slowly as not to scare the migratory geese, I tossed the remaining treats to the edge of a bank where some mallards came to grab them.
 
One of the geese looked at me curiously, but, apparently more at ease than the first time, the geese remained where they were and did not attempt to flee.
 
Geese seem to pick up the "vibe" of an area and very quickly learn what to be fearful of and what not. Its probable the geese take some of their cues from the mallards -- as the mallards apparently take security from them.
 
As I left Harlem Meer, I felt very happy to once again experience this beautiful picture of "normalcy" at the lake -- ducks and geese peacefully together. It is a kind of odd marriage between two waterfowl species, who though not always loving or needing each other to survive, definitely seem happier and more secure when together.
 
Walking home through the slightly chilling winds and tossed, falling leaves, I thought about the oncoming winter.
 
Brad and the mallards certainly  have thick layers of down on them this year, (giving a "bigger" appearance than normal), to get through the bitter, cold days.
 
But, they rarely have any geese for security measures, early warning systems or even to help keep open water.
 
For the few times seeing any geese at all in Central Park over the past three months, they have always been in tiny, family groups and rarely stayed beyond a day or two (except for the six weeks of molting and flightlessness).
 
In fact at no time since last spring have I ever seen more than ten geese together in any one location of Central Park.
 
For a species of bird that usually migrates in large flocks of 30 or more this is more than concerning.
 
I wonder if the mallards realize they are slowly losing their partners in brine?
 
An "odd marriage" indeed.
 
But, one that is inexorably being ripped apart, not by dissention or disharmony of the partners themselves, but outside, human forces.
 
Still, at least for last night, the marriage, without human interference, came briefly together again.  And that was very beautiful and pleasing to see.
 
A few blissful moments of happiness and security for the ducks.
 
So happy, that most mallards elected to stay with the geese last night -- even to forego the temporary pleasure of their nightly treats. 
 
It was perfectly understandable. 
 
The interconnection and odd marriages of species, that is.
 
I am hoping that this small family of four geese might stay a while at the Meer.
 
But, I know that won't occur.
 
Perhaps that is why the mallards hung on with the geese so tightly last night.
 
Yes, I believe the mallards understand all too well, the threat this "odd marriage" is truly under.
 
The mallards have to appreciate what they have for the brief times they have it again.  -- PCA 
 
 
                                                                     *******
 
 

No comments: