Monday, November 21, 2011

Oh, Happy Day!





(Photo: [new] 1-- Romantic dinner. Mama and Papa last night at the Boat Lake 2--One of the youngsters on "sentry duty.")
 
Surprises.
 
Some are pleasant, some not so pleasant and some knock you off your feet.
 
I wasn't expecting any "surprises" when heading to Central Park shortly after dusk last night.
 
But, I did change the usual direction.
 
Figuring it had been a while since checking out Turtle Pond and the Boat Lake, I decided to survey the areas once again on the seemingly futile search for geese.
 
Turtle Pond was a flurry of waterfowl activity last night,  but not of geese. There appeared to be at least a couple of dozen mallards gliding peacefully under the moonlight.  Briefly checking  the Reservoir, I could note mallards and vibrant groups of shovelers swimming in circles -- but again no geese.
 
I then headed with my two dogs towards the boat lake, resigned that no geese would be found there either.
 
The boat lake is of course the site where the Turtle Pond goose family (Mama, Papa and their three yearlings) molted and stayed over the summer, along with 5 other geese.
 
I used to love coming to the boat lake from June to late August as the family of five are my very favorite geese and are actually the basis of my love and admiration for these wondrous birds.  I quite literally watched the "babies" grow up when the family was at Turtle Pond during the summer of 2010.
 
But, this year (as noted) the family stayed at the Boat Lake, perhaps because they were chased from Turtle Pond where they had returned in early March and stayed temporarily through a failed nesting of the parent geese.
 
Once the gaggle of geese developed their flight feathers in late August, all ten left the boat lake.
 
I did however see Mama, Papa and the three grown "kids" last month briefly at Harlem Meer.   They stayed for a couple of days and then moved on.
 
I felt a sense of despondency when returning to the boat lake last night.
 
As beautiful and peaceful as it is (especially at night), the large lake with the twinkling skyline view of midtown Manhattan seems desolate, lonely and empty without geese.
 
Additionally, it is full of memories.
 
I didn't look forward to revisiting the boat lake last night, but felt it necessary to check out.
 
Arriving to the entrance of the lake and peering out, I thought I saw what seemed like large bird forms resting near one of the rock formations.
 
It couldn't be, I thought skeptically.  Probably just some rocks.....
 
But, I walked towards the large rock patch on the lake anyway.
 
Walking through a little winding path that leads to the rocks, I suddenly stopped dead in my tracks.
 
There, under the glistening moonlight were four geese standing near the edge of the water!
 
Oh, my God!  Glory be!
 
Expecting the geese to be startled by my dogs and bolt for the water, I was further surprised to see them totally unafraid and actually walk a couple of steps in my direction!
 
Could it possibly be?  Could it really be them?!
 
Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I led my dogs to a stone "bench" (where they obligingly stayed) and I slowly approached and cooed to the four geese.
 
They seemed to recognize me and stepped a little closer!
 
I reached in my bag and pulled out a small bag of cracked corn and sunflower seeds.
 
Sure enough, two of the geese confidently nibbled from my hand!
 
Their gentle mouths virtually assured to me, it was, indeed the Turtle Pond goose family!
 
And though it was very dark, I was finally able to make out Mama goose by the missing webbing on her right foot and Papa goose by his lame left leg!
 
"Twinkle Toes!"  (my pet name for Mama.)  "Papa!  It's soooo good to see you guys again!  You are a sight for sore eyes!"
 
It was then that Mama goose murmured a low "honk" that was barely audible.
 
I recognized that as typical goose greeting.
 
Mama then gently pecked at the youngster eating from my hand as if to order him to "sentry" duty.
 
Sure enough, the yearling moved away and took sentry position on one of the rocks.  The other youngster also took a sentry position on one of the other rocks.
 
Mama then continued to eat from my hand as Papa goose watched closely a couple of feet away.
 
I then started to toss some of the seeds to the ground and the romantic couple moved towards each other and nibbled the treats together.
 
I sat on a rock for a while, snapped a couple of photos and just marveled at how incredibly romantic and devoted these birds truly are. 
 
In the two years I have observed this particular goose family (with the exception of when Mama was nesting last spring in the rocks of Belvedere Castle and Papa kept close watch in the water), the parent geese have never been more than a couple of feet from each other.
 
The sheer love, devotion and undying loyalty of geese to each other is, I believe, unrivaled by any other animals in nature (certainly, unchallenged by humans).  
 
It is indescribable the sheer joy I felt in seeing this wondrous and beautiful family once again. -- Like finding a long, lost lover.
 
Looking out upon the dark water, I was able to make out what appeared like two or three other geese in the not too far distance.
 
One of them eventually arrived to the rock and I guessed s/he was the third yearling.
 
Papa goose honked once and gave the youngster a gentle, but commanding nudge.
 
Its funny how the parent geese command the youngsters to take on sentry positions while Mama and Papa have their romantic time together.
 
And of course, the "kids" always oblige and have learned their lessons well.
 
Parental respect looms very high in goose families. 
 
If geese have survived so proficiently despite man's endless persecution and massacres, it is due, I believe, to these extremely powerful and enduring mate and family bonds.
 
Not expecting to find any geese last night, I had not brought much in the way of treats.  What I had brought, was quickly gone.
 
But, the geese did not leave.
 
Rather, all five stood peacefully around the rocks, gazing either out on to the water or acceptingly in my direction.
 
It was like reliving a beautiful dream.
 
But, all good dreams come to an end.
 
Eventually, I got off the rock to get my dogs and prepare to leave.
 
"It's been so wonderful seeing you guys again!"
 
I could swear all five geese smiled at me as I turned to leave with my dogs.
 
Exiting the park at 79th Street, I encountered what apparently was an "Occupy" rally being held across the street from Mayor Bloomberg's town house.
 
But, it didn't seem so much of a "protest" as much as some kind of strange celebration.
 
Some people were dancing and others playing loudly on drums.
 
I might have joined them for a bit, but my dogs seemed a little spooked by the noise and extra human activity.  
 
Then again, I had already had my night of "celebration."
 
Not only to finally find geese in Central Park, but my very, very special family.
 
Oh, happy day -- and happy, happy surprise!  -- PCA
 
                     
                                                            ************
 
 

No comments: