Sunday, December 25, 2011

Eve of Christmas Eve -- Let the Celebrations Begin!




It didn't seem possible to be any more "up" than I was Friday night after spending precious time with the geesies and duckies of Harlem Meer.
 
The geese were in especially high spirits the eve of Christams Eve.
 
Lowly flying over the lake in animated conversation when I arrived with my dogs, it seems the entire area took on a mood of celebration, holiday and lively conversation.
 
"Honk, honk, honk!"  I wished I knew what the geese were so charged up and chatty about!  
 
But, like last week when they first arrived at the Meer, it just seemed there was much dialogue going back and forth amongst the geese as they flew around and landed on various portions of the lake in what at times seemed an entertaining act from Cirque De Soilee!    
 
Perhaps, like most of us, the geese celebrate Christmas?
 
I, of course, could understand the solitary "honk" of Buster when he arrived with his charges on the embankment where I stood with my dogs.
 
Usually, the solitary and low register honk is associated with greeting.
 
And Buster was especially accommodating and cheerful -- even allowing me to pet him!
 
For that, Buster earned extra treat which he took very gently from my hand -- like a butterfly.  (For a gander who is so rough and tumble with the other geese, Buster is amazingly gentle and social with humans!)
 
Though I did not immediately see them at first, Brad soon arrived with Piggly and Wiggly following close behind him.  The alliance closely formed now, the three ducks appeared like a mini parade.
 
I don't know that Piggly and Wiggly will necessarily be of great service to Brad in keeping the lake from entirely freezing over in a month or so.
 
But, for sure, they fill the role of companionship in Brad's life -- something that had clearly been missing since the sad disappearance of Brad's long time mate (or sibling), Angelina last spring.
 
Brad is no longer the "lone duck" on the lake and for that I am immensely grateful for whatever miracle or quirk of fate brought these two other domestic (Kacki Campbell?) ducks to the Meer.
 
Piggly and Wiggly may not be the most robust, smartest or respected ducks at Harlem Meer.  But, like Brad, they are survivors.  And they are similar to Brad in breed and lack of flying ability.
 
Yes, it has been like some wondrous banquet over these past couple of weeks with the new goose arrivals and the new found companionship and alliance between Brad and the two otherwise "misfits" of Harlem Meer.
 
I am been in a real "up" mood.
 
Feeling good when arriving home Friday night, I switched on the TV and went over the program guide to see if anything worthwhile was on.
 
To my great surprise, there was a movie airing that actually dealt with geese!
 
 
Only having missed about a half hour of the film, I quickly switched it on.
 
And for the next hour and a half, I sat like a small kid with a ridiculous smile plastered on my face!
 
If ever there was an "up" movie, this one is it -- in many more ways than one. (Apparently inspired by a true story!")  Definitely one to order from Netflix or catch on the tube if one is in need of a little inspiration or just a smile.
 
 Peace on earth.
 
Good will towards men -- and women and children and animals.
 
The best of the holiday spirit to all who faithfully have followed this blog.
 
May geese and peace be forever with you!  -- PCA
 
 
                                                           **********
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: