Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Marching Bands of Geese and One Determined Duck!





Breaking pattern yesterday,  I went to Harlem Meer an hour before sundown -- which just prior to the winter solstice was 3:30 in the afternoon.   
 
There was a specific reason for going during daylight hours, but more about that later.....
 
I could not believe my eyes when entering the Meer and walking towards the western portion of the lake.
 
There had to be at least 50 to 75 geese scattered in various clusters, both on the grass and in the water!
 
It is of course, impossible to know the exact source of so many newly arrived geese.
 
Over the past few days, I speculated at first, they were migratory birds and then yesterday, that they were mostly resident geese returned to Harlem Meer as "gathering" before the winter migrations.
 
I now think that due to the large number and variations in behavior, they actually represent a combination of both, resident and migratory geese.
 
The wary migratory geese remained in the water and moved away upon human approach. 
 
But, the geese happily grazing on the grass were quite comfortable in the presence of humans walking by.  I am guessing these geese to be the former resident geese of Central Park or more specifically, Harlem Meer.
 
At one point, as I walked along the grass, the geese looked up from their grazing and started to walk in a straight line in what comically looked like a high school marching band!
 
One almost expected them to blow horns or tap drums!
 
As it was, I whipped out my camera and shot a video of them:
 
 
It was as if these 25 or so geese were preparing to march in a holiday parade!
 
Delighted and enriched by the gregarious and humorous scene before me, I could have stayed forever just chuckling at the "toy soldiers" gleefully prancing before me. 
 
But, I actually had a purpose for rushing to the Meer before the light faded.
 
That was, to look for Brad, my special flightless domestic duck.
 
I had not seen Brad at all the night before, despite walking around the entire lake.
 
While I normally might be given to panic in situations like this, I was able to peer out on the dark water the other night and make out a number of ducks seemingly resting.  I had to hope that one of them was Brad.
 
Yesterday, I had walked around 3/4 of the Meer and still had not found Brad!
 
While perfectly delighted to note the huge assortment of waterfowl suddenly at the Meer in recent days, including, shovelers, wood ducks and a variety of small ducks I could not name (as well as the geese), a feeling of disquiet and real worry began to gnaw at my senses:
 
Oh no, is it happening again?   Just when you think they are safe and OK, something horrible happens.  WHERE is Brad?  What could have happened to him?
 
But, then just as I was about to hit pure panic mode, I could make out what appeared to be a larger, brightly colored duck in the far distance towards the east side of the lake.
 
Could it be?  Is that HIM?
 
I motioned up my arm, started waving and calling out Brad's name.
 
"Brad, Brad....Is it you?"
 
Sure enough, the brightly colored duck and two others began to swim in my direction.   And as they got closer, I finally recognized Brad.
 
He was leading Piggly and Wiggly who were swimming directly behind him.
 
Ah, yes, working on that alliance thing!
 
A part of me wanted to ring Brad's neck for giving me such a fright.
 
"You little wretch!  Playing hide and seek with me.  Well, I ought to......"
 
But, forget the admonishments.   I was just so happy to see Brad and his new charges again!
 
When all three ducks finally reached the south embankment and Brad brazenly demanded his treats, all I could do was murmur, "Thank God, you are OK -- but I still ought to ring your neck!"
 
Brad just flapped his flightless wings and shrugged as if to say, "A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.  You know I have to groom these two misfits to work the ice with me over the winter!"
 
Well, OK.   Yes, I know Brad has to do what he has to do.  And I know its important too for him to get rest now while he can.  In another month or so, he will literally be working his tail and beak off day and night to try and keep a small pool of water open.  
 
Will the hapless Piggy and Wiggly be of useful aid in that?  Considering that they, like Brad, cannot fly, they had better learn the rules of the Meer in winter quickly.  Certainly, they need to start practicing their diving skills.   There is no guarantee the diving family of geese will still be there over the winter to help maintain open water.
 
Speaking of "diving," upon filling up his belly, Brad returned to the lake and immediately began practicing HIS diving and dunking skills!
 
Oh yes, Brad is indeed, extremely aware of the calendar and the challenges of winter soon to arrive! 
 
Last winter it seemed he spent about 90% of his time constantly "dunking and diving" in the tiny pool of water to prevent it from freezing over.  Brad is an extremely diligent and hard worker.
 
Piggly and Wiggly are lucky to have such an accomplished survivor on their team -- even if all the mallards relentlessly pick on them.
 
Piggly and Wiggly don't need the mallards, after all.   They need Brad......
 
Impressed that the alliance of mutual need was moving forward and that all three ducks enjoyed a healthy meal, I turned my attention back to the geese -- one of whom had just impatiently pecked on my hand.
 
I didn't have to look very far down to know it was Buster whose head comes up to my hip.
 
"Did you forget about me and my charges?  We were here before any of these other migrants!"
 
And no, I had not forgotten about Buster and his rag-tag flock of seeming orphans.
 
The remainder of the treats were shared with them and the small flock of my "regular" mallards.
 
As I turned to leave the Meer, the sun had gone down and Piggly and Wiggly had joined Brad in the water.
 
But, I didn't see the two "misfits" doing any dives or dunks.
 
Brad indeed has his work cut out with these two rag-taggers as winter arrives tomorrow.
 
Walking home from the Meer, I was on cloud nine.
 
I had delighted in a holiday marching band of geese and found my missing duck.
 
Who could ask for more this spirited time of the year?  -- PCA
 
 
                                                             ********
 
 
 

No comments: