Sunday, February 12, 2012

For the Gals Today





(Photos:  1-- Brianna -- the ever faithful and patient mate to Buster?  2-- Dusky, American Black Duck.)
 
Winter has made a comeback.
 
Temperatures over the past few days have been seasonal.  But today they fell below normal  and the wind chill plunged this morning to near zero.
 
Likewise, the "spring-like" rowdy behavior of the Harlem Meer mallards during the warm spell earlier in the week was quickly replaced by the more reserved, "fuel up and conserve" behavior associated with the colder weather.
 
Over the past few nights, I could not get seeds on the ground fast enough for the seemingly famished mallards who practically tripped over themselves at my feet.
 
This kind of "desperation" makes it difficult to get food to some of the more vulnerable ducks I care about.
 
Brad, Piggly and Wiggly are not included in that statement as all three domestic ducks are wily and creative at getting to the food.  Brad takes from my hand as he has done for more than a year now while Wiggly settles at my feet and catches what Brad misses. Meanwhile, Piggly, as noted, is a master thief due to his quick darting and grab skills.
 
But, Dusky (the American Black Duck) and Chrissy, the lame mallard are the two ducks I try to make a point to get food to.
 
Dusky is a little smaller than the mallards and seems to lack their moxie and aggression.  Chrissy of course is compromised by her inability to walk normally and low status in the flock.
 
But, as much as one feels special sympathy for these two ducks, they are not lacking smarts and survival skills.
 
Though "different" both ducks hang with the resident flock of about 30 mallards at the Meer.  And although Chrissy particularly gets picked on by the aggressive drakes (probably due to perceived weakness) she apparently is able to weather the storms.
 
Last night, Chrissy pulled herself up on the embankment with vigor, confidence and determination.   I immediately placed an ample supply of seeds before her and attempted to give some to her by hand.
 
But, the mallards were there so fast like football tacklers, the diminutive Chrissy was quickly "buried under the pile."
 
I tried with my hands to gently push some of the mallard faces out of the way, but that was an exercise in futility.
 
I then tossed seeds in other directions hoping the mallards would spread out.  That worked to some extent, but Chrissy still had to scrap for whatever she could get.
 
But, despite all the craziness and "football-like" tactics, Chrissy emerged from the melee seemingly unscathed and hopefully with a reasonably full belly.
 
She then escaped to the water where I attempted to toss some stray treats directly to her.
 
But, Buster who was there with his gaggle of seven geese had other ideas. 
 
As I walked to the edge of the lake to toss some seeds to Chrissy in the water, Buster rudely pecked at the sleeve of my jacket indignantly.
 
"Look, I don't mind playing second fiddle to Brad, the Rouen duck, but damned if we're going to have to kowtow to some miserable little mallard!   Have you forgotten about US?"
 
Of course, I could never forget about Buster who is the first to loudly greet me with booming honks when I arrive to the Meer each night.
 
I filled my hand with black sunflower seeds which Buster gently swooped like a cotton ball running over my hand.
 
It is amazing how gentle Buster is with me while treating his own flock members as a drill sergeant treats newly enlisted plebes.
 
Although it was quite cold last night, I nevertheless stayed a few extra minutes to observe and try to figure out the relationship of Buster to the other members of his gaggle.
 
There is one goose among Buster's flock who I have noted a number of times seems to stand a few feet from me (with head held high) and quietly watch each night.
 
There is something particularly refined, dignified and feminine about this goose.
 
I am guessing her to be Buster's mate.
 
"Brianna" as I recently named her, occasionally walks towards me.  But, if I try to offer treats from my hand, she curves her neck demurely as if to say, politely, "No, thank you.  I prefer to eat from the ground."
 
This seems an odd pairing as Brianna is as seemingly different from Buster as night is to day.
 
As Buster is loud, brash, headstrong and decisive, Brianna is quiet, demure, reflective and observant.
 
Indeed, the only thing the two geese seem to have in common is pride in themselves and their flock.
 
But, I have never seen Brianna "throw her weight around" and attempt to bully or harass the other birds be they geese or ducks.
 
Indeed, the only way to differentiate Brianna from the rest of Buster's gaggle is her tendency to stand a few feet apart and quietly take in and observe.
 
She is like a proud mate (or mom) who despite the antics and roughousing of her partner has complete faith and support in his "wisdom" and ability to lead and protect.
 
Finally (and quickly) exhausted of treat last night, I gathered my dogs and began to make my way out of the Meer.
 
Sensing my departure even before I picked up the dog leashes, the ducks and geese left the embankment and prepared to follow in the water.
 
Although it is too soon to call them any kind of "pair" yet, Dusky and Chrissy were swimming within a few feet of each other, while as usual the Bradley Brigade led the parade.
 
Buster and his gaggle usually follow a little behind the ducks and I could swear Buster doesn't take his eyes off of me until my dogs and I are up the hill and well out of sight.
 
"Good night geesies!  Good night, Duckies!  Hunker down tonight.  Its gonna be a cold one!"
 
And so, as the temperatures once again tank below freezing for a little while, I once again worry a little about the more vulnerable and frail of the ducks I personally know.
 
But, it occurred to me last night while walking home that Chrissy and Dusky obviously made it through the early snow storm in October and a few rough patches over the winter. 
 
If Chrissy can be at the bottom of a football pile-up and still emerge with her dignity and head intact, she can probably make it through this, I thought confidently.
 
The migratory geese have apparently moved on despite the brief setback in weather and I trust our little football heroes and heroines will too, prevail.
 
Let's hear it for the gals today, including the ever-faithful Brianna and of course, the ever resilient Chrissy. -- PCA
 
 
                                                              ***********
 
 
 
 

No comments: