Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Moving On -- Migrating Geese and a Fan-Tailed Duck!






(Photos -- 1--Chrissy last night, squatting on land.  2-- Chrissy in water. -- Do the fan-tailed feathers aid her in swimming?  3-- Buster, keeping everyone in line.)
 
The first thing noticed when entering Central Park last night and walking along the Reservoir was the silence.
 
The melodic and striking colophony of goose honks that had enveloped the previous two nights was notably absent.
 
Nor, could I make out in the distance, dozens of goose silhouettes resting on the water.
 
Apparently, the first few waves of migratory geese passing through NYC had moved on.
 
It was therefore not surprising when arriving to Harlem Meer to first find silence on the lake.
 
From a distance, I could see that most of the dozens of geese who had settled and rested on the Meer the previous night were gone.
 
Apparently, all the "conversations" the previous evening were active travel plans on where the geese would fly the next day.  -- Either that, or the geese heeded the warnings of Buster that any thoughts of staying at the Meer was a mistake as truly no place in New York City is  "safe" for geese in the spring and summer.
 
But, the silence was soon punctuated by loud "honks" emanating from the east side of the lake!
 
"Hi there!   Here we are!"
 
Buster, apparently having spotted me early, took off with his rag-tag gaggle, zooming and honking wildlily across the lake! 
 
I felt honored to be the recipient of such enthusiastic greeting!
 
Buster and crew flew about a dozen feet off the water and quickly arrived to join the Bradley Brigade and the other ducks rushing to meet me at the south embankment.
 
Buster was one of the first birds on the grass.
 
He walked up to me like the most perfect gentleman with a low, greeting honk.
 
"We're here early tonight!  Does that not entitle us to first digs?"
 
Laughing, I offered Buster some choice sunflower seeds from my hand which he qently scooped up.
 
But, then Brad was at my feet, along with his two charges, Piggly and Wiggly.
 
"No, I did not forget about you, Brad......"
 
The mallards were in rare form last night.
 
One might have thought it was a warm night in April from the mallard shenanigans, "bar room brawls" and general scrappiness.
 
Everywhere I looked, mallards were in seeming tossels with each other, either verbally or physically.
 
"Hey, hey, what's with you guys tonight?   Cool it!"
 
Looking around, I finally saw Chrissy, the little crippled mallard hoisting herself bravely up on the embankment with effort.
 
Trying to spare her the pain of hobbling on the grass, I immediately put some seeds in front of Chrissy as she plopped down.   Within seconds the mallards were there trying to steal and I attempted with hand to try and hold a few back as much as possible.
 
But, it was mostly a futile gesture.
 
Chrissy grabbed what she could and then hobbled away from the seeming mallard avalanche.   I snapped a quick photo.
 
But, just then, one of the police patrol jeeps drove by and all the ducks bolted for the water --including Chrissy.
 
Buster however remained on the embankment, seemingly undeterred.  Very few things appear to freak Buster out.   My guess is that he is a long time "resident goose" of Harlem Meer and at this point, is used to everything.   A couple of his gaggle nevertheless retreated for the water.    Buster then signaled to them that it was OK for them to return.
 
Most of the ducks also returned on the embankment -- except Chrissy.
 
The effort of pulling herself on the embankment apparently something she can only manage once a night, Chrissy positioned herself near the edge of the lake and looked at me directly, beseeching treat.
 
It was then I noticed Chrissy is actually distinguishable from other female mallards because of the fan-like appearance of her tail feathers.  Usually mallard tail feathers end in a point. But in Chrissy they actually splay out a little.  It seems Chrissy actually uses her tail feathers to help propel her in the water along with her compromised feet.   Again, I snapped a  photo.
 
I laid out some seeds on the edge of the embankment for Chrissy to grab.   As she did, a drake tried to steal some and to my surprise, Chrissy actually defended herself and chased him off!
 
Chrissy may be disabled -- especially when on land, but she is not without moxie and defense!
 
"You go girl!  Good for you!"
 
Meanwhile, I noticed a family of four other geese had arrived on the embankment and stood about 20 feet from Buster and his clan.
 
When a couple of them curiously attempted to move closer to me, Buster lowered his head aggressively and immediately warded them back.
 
"Hey, you guys!  Keep your distance!"
 
The four geese quietly retreated back.
 
I actually counted eight geese among Buster and his group last night.
 
I am not sure how the extra goose managed its way into Buster's gaggle without losing half its feathers.  In fact, I am not sure why any goose would even want to join up with Buster!  (Then again, Loner did.)
 
But, apparently Buster is not all that loath about occasionally accepting new geese -- as long as they can put up with his rules and tirades.
 
Finally exhausted of seed, it was time for me to gather my dogs and move on.
 
And as usual, Brad summoned Piggly and Wiggly and Buster gathered his troupe.
 
It was then I noticed the bright, full moon in the sky.
 
Do the migrating birds fly according the fullness of the moon I wondered?
 
Did the full moon help explain some of the extra feistiness and scrappiness of the ducks last night?  Or, were they simply preparing for the onset of spring and the territorial and pairing disputes that come with it?
 
As I walked along the path leading to the exit of the Meer, the geese and ducks followed, like a parade in the water.
 
But, the most curious thing was that in front of the Bradly Brigade and even Buster and his rag-tag gaggle was a little brown female mallard with fanned out tail feathers. 
 
And alongside Chrissy was a drake.  -- PCA
 
 
                                                       **********
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: