Monday, February 13, 2012

Winter's Scrappy Flowers




(Photos:  1-Chrissy sitting boldly and holding her own with the mallards last night.  2-- Gaggle of unfamiliar, but peaceful, curious geese. )
 
 
"They flourish in winter."
 
Such was the main thought last night when leaving Harlem Meer.
 
But, more about that later....
 
I left before dusk yesterday for Central Park because I wanted to make it home before the Grammy awards on TV.
 
Temperature was in the 20's with the wild chill bringing it down to the teens.
 
Walking along the Reservoir, I was at first struck by how foggy and misty it was.  Visibility was extremely low and it seemed like it might pour rain.
 
But, with the low temperature, it instead began to snow!
 
For a brief while, it was like walking through a blizzard.
 
The fierce winds caused the snow to blow horizontally, literally whipping across my face.
 
Within minutes, it began to dust the ground with a fine white powder.
 
I didn't know what to expect when reaching Harlem Meer.
 
Would the ducks and geese be hunkered down somewhere in order to avoid the battering winds and side blowing snow?
 
Surprisingly, the ducks were in the water in their usual place and I barely could make out some geese in the distance.
 
The snow began to subside as I made it around to the feeding area.  Brad, Piggly and Wiggly were the first ducks on the embankment and even before I could secure my dogs to a nearby park bench, all of the mallards were gathered and waiting.
 
Looking quickly among the bunch, I noted Chrissy who had just hopped on the embankment with confidence and enthusiasm.
 
She was actually walking!
 
The image startled me so much, I at first couldn't believe it was Chrissy.
 
Where and how had the sudden power come to her legs?
 
After some seconds, the lame duck did plop down and looked up at me to beseech treat. There was no doubt she was Chrissy.  But, I had never seen her walk or stand normally! 
 
The image was striking and truly a revelation.
 
I squatted down to put treats directly in front of the sitting duck, but Chrissy was actually eager to take them from my hand!
 
And unlike the night before when Chrissy was "piled up upon" by the mallards, last night, she was able to stretch her neck out and keep the mallards at bay.
 
I almost could not believe what I was seeing!
 
Chrissy standing and walking almost normally.  Chrissy boldly pushing away the mallards!
 
Did the sudden bolt of cold air, wind and snow cause this compromised duck to magically gain strength?
 
Or, was Chrissy simply so desperate for food that the harsh conditions sparked some rush of adrenalin to her weakened legs and impetus to her spirit to take risks and "fight" for what was hers?
 
Whatever it was, I was able to get a good supply of black oiled sunflower seeds and even some small bits of tomato and cooked squash to Chrissy last night.   It was utterly shocking and amazing!
 
Meanwhile, a gaggle of 8 geese had made it on to the edge of the embankment and were curiously watching and casually pecking at a few stray seeds on the ground.
 
I at first assumed they were Buster and his gaggle.
 
But, none of the geese actually approached me.
 
It seemed they were there more out of curiosity and investigation than actual hunger.
 
But, if I needed any "proof" that the geese were not Buster and his clan, it was obvious in the fact none of the geese were "goosing" other geese or pushing around the mallards!
 
They were actually a very peaceful and accommodating flock of geese.
 
Just at that moment, two geese took off honking, from the far side of the lake and flew directly overhead from the geese and ducks on the ground.     
 
All 8 geese on the embankment immediately stopped what they were doing, looked up attentively at the passing, honking pair of geese and then began to honk loudly themselves!
 
It was quite literally a chorus of honks exchanged from both the flying geese above and the ground geese calling up to them!
 
Ah, what I wouldn't have given to have some understanding of goose "language" and communications!
 
Were the 8 geese on the ground admonishing the pair of geese for leaving?
 
Or, were they simply bidding them a good journey?
 
"Have a good trip, guys.  Stay safe!"
 
For all my observations of geese and ducks over the past few years, I still cannot decipher actual goose or duck "talk."
 
But, there is no doubt these animals actually possess complex and in-depth communication skills and these are likely important tools to their survival and endurance.
 
Speaking of "endurance," there doesn't seem to be words to describe exactly how a crippled mallard like Chrissy survives (especially in winter) or even an "outside" duck like Dusky, the American Black Duck endures in a flock of mallards that is not his own.
 
But, somehow these two scrappy ducks do.
 
And perhaps that is truly the one word that so perfectly describes ducks of all kinds.
 
"Scrappy" indeed.
 
As I finally left the Meer last night with the usual "duck parade" following (including Dusky and Chrissy) I thought to myself that Chrissy seems to be a duck who is not only "scrappy" but seems to flourish in the cold.
 
I had never seen Chrissy so seemingly robust and confident as she was last night in otherwise, punishing weather.
 
And though feeling a little disappointed in not seeing Buster, Brianna and their goose gaggle last night, (who were most likely loafing in another part of the lake) I have long realized one thing:
 
Geese are not dependent upon humans for sustenance even in the worst of weather.
 
When Buster and his flock do come to greet me most nights, it is not out of any dire need for treats, but rather simple friendship, familiarity and gregariousness.
 
I know I will see them again -- probably tonight.
 
Winter's scrappy flowers never disappoint.   -- PCA
 
 
                                                              ********
 
 
 

No comments: