Thursday, June 21, 2012

Journey Through the Light and Darkness -- Why I Advocate for Geese

Some people may wonder, when stumbling across this blog, how one person can devote almost two years of her life studying and writing about, of all things, "Canada geese?"   ("Is this woman some kind of nut?")
 
It seems there was kind of a "perfect storm" of various events that brought this mission and near obsession about.
 
I became interested in and mildly curious about geese and ducks some years back. 
 
One of my dogs, Tina (who I rescued and adopted in 1997) is mostly responsible for that.
 
Tina has always been fascinated by and drawn to ducks and geese swimming on the water.  Being a "herding" type dog (Corgi-Sheepdog mix?), Tina would love to give gentle chase when younger and on a few occasions, even jumped into the water. (I since conditioned Tina out of the chasing instincts long ago.)
 
But, it was the traumatic circumstances surrounding 9-11 that forged in me, the beginnings of a special connection and bond to geese and ducks.
 
I remember on that horrible and frightening night, watching for a long time, geese and ducks peacefully swimming on the water of the Jackie Onassis Reservoir as if nothing had happened.  It was the first time all day that I had a sense that everything was and would ultimately be OK.  The geese and ducks engendered in me a sense of calm in an otherwise chaotic world.
 
I was not able to derive that same sense of balance, calm and assurance from other people, most of whom around me were simply traumatized and numb at the time.
 
I think from that point on, I felt a kind of appreciation, value and even debt towards nature and particularly ducks and geese -- although it would not manifest itself until some years later.
 
Although this blog was initially devoted to the rescue and adoption stories of cats and dogs, I began to include more writings on nature, wildlife and geese and ducks in 2010.
 
At the time, I recall walking into a Barnes and Noble one day seeking books and information about Canada geese and ducks.
 
I could only find books about the hunting of these birds.
 
It began to dawn on me then that if I truly wanted to learn about these animals, I would have to do my own observations and perhaps even write my own "book."
 
In May of 2010, I discovered Mama, Papa and their then newly hatched goslings at Turtle Pond in Central Park.  Thrilled and excited, I took photographs, observed and began to write about the new family in this blog.   The experience of watching the babies grow and the intriguing relationship between the parent geese and their brood was engaging and absorbing.  It was about that time I slowly began to change focus. The opportunity for observance of wildlife was opening up new and mesmerizing doors. 
 
But, they were doors that would soon take one to dark and ominous places.
 
Enter Prospect Park Goose Gassings -- July 8, 2010.
 
Perhaps no event was more significant to changing my direction and focus in life from cats and dogs to geese, than the 2010 goose gassings that occurred at Prospect Park in Brooklyn.  
 
It had only been a week before that I personally and coincidently saw many of the geese later rounded up when visiting friends who live near Prospect Park.
 
It was a hot June day when Firouzeh, Michael and I walked through a very crowded and kind of chaotic Prospect Park.  Barbeques and debris everywhere, thick black smoke in the air and chicken bones in the grass.  I was not at all impressed with Prospect Park -- until we happened along the lake, where scores of children and parents cheerfully tossed out bread to extremely friendly and engaging Canada geese. Many of the geese gently took the bread from the hands of small children.
 
To me, the geese, ducks and people freely interacting with them, were the only things attractive and uplifting about Prospect Park.
 
But, little did I know then, that a week later, all the geese admired that day would be dead and most of the ducks vanished. One can only wonder what parents told their children when asked, "Mommy, where are all the geese and ducks?"
 
The roundups and gassings of the beautiful and gentle geese at Prospect Park indeed changed my life. -- And they made me appreciate my own special Central Park geese, Mama, Papa and their babies, all that much more.
 
Last night I received an email from a gentleman in Delafield, Wisconsin, who like us in New York City is distraught over the prospect of another USDA goose roundup in his community as was done last year:
 
"I really enjoy your blog. Your descriptions of the geese are always right on. I see the same in the geese one thousand miles to the west of you. All of you at Goosewatch have kept me going. Most people don't know about the killing program. People are taught to hate geese for hunting. You should hear what hunters say about animals. I blend into their circles and they love to spill their guts so to say. People are too busy with modern life. People are shy. People just stay quiet. As for the local news reporter, he must live with the common council so i don't expect any help. I am sure he was listening. Please feel free to forward the email to anyone who may be interested. I have been watching for the USDA just like you in NY".
 
I replied back to Jim:
 
"Here in NYC, most park goers are either running or cycling and really don't notice anything around them.  People seem to just want to shut the real world out.  Maybe that should not be surprising considering crap like this going on in the "real world."
 
You are correct too, that the geese get a bad rap.  It seems if we are going to justify shooting and killing, we need to "objectify" or vilify the victims. -- Just like serial killers don't see their victims as humans. Perhaps part of our job is to "animalize" the geese. -- Draw attention to all the characteristics that make them unique and in many ways similar to our own pets and even to us. 
 
It is only through separation and objectification that all this brutality and injustice can occur.
 
That is actually why I write the blog on geese. -- to take them out of "object" mode and give to them the individuality and character qualities they uniquely possess and deserve finally and rightly to be recognized for."
 
And that is ultimately what this struggle and journey is all about. -- Not just for geese but all animals.
 
They are not "objects, pests, nuisances, airline terrorists or targets." 
 
They are simply and rather, other entities in life caught up in the same web of creation, joie de vivre, struggle and survival that we are.
 
Indeed, the similarities between geese and humans are far more startling and revealing than any perceived and attributed differences will ever be.
 
The geese just want to live, provide for and protect their mates and families as we do.
 
Under what "law" of nature, universe or God are we granted the right to deny and rob them of that?
 
In so doing, do we not ultimately damage and rob ourselves of the value of connection with the living world around us?  -- PCA
 
 
                                                                *********   
 
 
 

No comments: