Sunday, July 1, 2012

"Fun-Loving, Jokester Geese!"

(Photo:  Mama goose.  Who knew she was such a jokester and culture lover?)
 
 
I am not sure where Buster, Bonnie and their six  spoiled brats were last night.  But, knowing them, I suspect the brash and bold troupe were probably around the area of Bethesda Fountain happily entertaining the hoards of tourists who flock to this location, particularly on weekends. It must have been a smorgasbord of unending treats. -- Everything from popcorn to ice cream bars.
 
It was nice however, to be able to spend extra time with the original Central Park goose family -- Mama, Papa and their now four adult goslings from 2010. 
 
 
For more spectacular and mind-blowing photos of geese, please go here. These are absolutely incredible!   
 
The original goose family once again reunited shortly before the molt as they did last summer.
 
While it seems the experience is enjoyable for Papa goose who is still teaching his sons the finer points of goosedom  (which for ganders includes, vigilance and "sentry duty"), Mama has occasionally sought time to herself over the past several weeks -- and in the process, sent me on "wild goose chases," jostling my nerves more than once.
 
Perhaps because Mama is old now and doesn't have the same youthful vigor or interest to keep up with the more adventurous youngsters and Papa's teaching duties, it is not uncommon to see her sometimes remaining at the "home" rock while the rest of the family is in the water. 
 
But, a few times, Mama has ventured off on her own -- and that's when my legs get a workout and my nerves take a beating.
 
A couple of weeks ago, I found Mama by herself on a grassy patch near Bethesda Fountain one Sunday.  She seemed to be enjoying a photographer taking photos of a newlywed couple in the grass.  Moreover, people walking by continuously tossed out crackers and other treats to Mama. She was like the center of attention and she seemed to relish in that.
 
At the time, I was worried and wondered if Mama had gotten lost or separated from the family?   Did she know how to get back?
 
But, such worry was unfounded as the next day Mama was happily back with Papa and the kids.  Obviously, Mama is not stupid and knows her way around the Boat Lake.
 
But, unfortunately, I cannot say the same about myself in terms of lack of stupidity.
 
Last week, I found Mama once again separated from her family and instead hanging out near Buster, Bonnie and their troupe around Bow Bridge on the weekend. There was also a lot of human activity around the bridge area that evening -- including people dancing, music and bongo drums.  (Apparently,  Mama particularly enjoys music, bongos and being around people. It would be nice however, if she told me that.)
 
Bonnie was not at all pleased with Mama's presence at the time (or to her, interference?)  and chased Mama back a couple of times.   But Mama was neither deterred nor denied.  Perhaps she just wanted to check on the "mothering" skills of Bonnie or perhaps she liked being around the still changing and growing goslings. But, quite frankly, I think it was the music and crowds that kept Mama around the bridge that evening.  She and Papa always seemed to enjoy the concerts at the Delacourt Theatre by Turtle Pond and I am quite sure that is the real reason they nested there in the spring and summer of 2010. 
 
"Culture" is apparently important to some goose families.
 
The next day Mama was however, again back with her own family.
 
Last night when I arrived at the Boat Lake, Mama was relaxed on the rock near the Rambles by herself, while the rest of the family was visible toward the west side of the lake.
 
After a few minutes, Papa and the four adult kids rejoined Mama and came waddling up to me for treats.
 
Only two of the young ganders didn't eat anything, but rather took up sentry duty.
 
One of the adult kids of Mama and Papa is definitely a girl and I named her "Lucy Goosie." 
 
Lucy particularly likes eating from my hand and staying very close to me.  We can practically touch noses!
 
The fourth of Mama and Papa's "kids" I am not sure of the sex, but it is possible there are three ganders and only one girl.  Perhaps that is why Papa is so busy these days -- teaching his three young sons, the ropes.
 
It was a very hot night and so it was relaxing to just sit and hang out with the family -- which I did for more than an hour.
 
It seemed a bit odd (but not alarming) that Buster and his clan didn't show up to chase Mama and Papa's family away, but had they actually disappeared from the Boat Lake, I would have heard about that from other goose watchers.  Buster, Bonnie and the kids do travel around on the lake (especially on weekends)  and at least last night, that was relaxing for the other geese.
 
Aside from the two noted goose families, there is another gaggle of three geese that have also been molting at the Boat Lake this summer.
 
But, the three sibling geese (I say that because they all have huge eyes) are quite shy and are apparently very intimidated by Buster and the gang.. They have only come to the Rambles rock once since I have been going there.   As far as goose hierarchy, they are at the bottom of the totem pole -- although Mama and Papa frequently allow the three siblings to hang with them on the home rock and the lake.
 
The three siblings were mostly swimming around in the water last night as they usually do when not on the home rock.
 
After the sun went down, Papa and what I presume to be his three sons, finally left the Rambles rock and headed in the direction towards home.
 
But, Mama and Lucy remained with me for another 15 minutes or so.
 
Eventually however, Mama finally left to rejoin her mate and sons and Lucy followed close behind, though soon surpassed her slow, puttering mother in the water. 
 
All nine geese (which includes the three siblings) were sitting relaxed on the water as the moon rose in the sky  Perhaps due to the heat of the evening, the water was the only cool place for them.
 
I too then left with my dogs and headed to the Reservoir to "check on" the dozen or so geese molting there over the summer.
 
But, as usual these days, those geese decided once again, to play "hide and seek" with me.
 
Trying to outwit them I walked to the north side of the Reservoir where I finally found them the other night.
 
But, of course this time they returned back to the east side, necessitating me once again to walk entirely around the Reservoir!
 
"You sadistic little bums!!  Why can't you stay in one place?  You are practically giving me and my dogs a heart attack having to walk all around in this heat!"
 
But, the geese looked up at me and I could swear they were laughing! 
 
"Ah, come on!  Its fun watching you guys sweat going all around the Reservoir.  We just like to be entertained on a Saturday night!"
 
For that nonsense, I gave most of the leftover treats to a mama raccoon and her two babies who apparently were grateful these particular geese were such slackers and game-players.
 
I will be greatly relieved when this "season of the witch" is finally over.  Once the USDA is out of town and the geese grow in their flight feathers, it will be a cold day in hell before I go traceping all around the Reservoir again in search of "hide-and-seek" geese.   The days of being entertainment fodder for bored geese on a Saturday night will hopefully soon be over.
 
But, for the moment to still be at the mercy of these jokesters and of course, the treasured goose families at the Boat Lake -- especially my beloved Mama (who has also jostled nerves over the past few weeks)! 
 
Good to know the geese have such a sense of humor -- even if at times, a bit cruel during USDA roundups.
 
I and my goose loving friends will be lucky not to come out of all this with major cases of heartburn and  ulcers.  --- PCA
 
 
                                                      ***********
 
 

No comments: