Saturday, May 3, 2014

On the Wings of an Angel?


"Gabrielle" -- Mystery new goose at Jackie Onassis Reservoir who somehow found the grieving Brad.
Brad at top of rock and Gabrielle near water grazing together in area of recent loss.
Over the years, I have observed, read, photographed and learned all I thought possible to know about Canada geese.
.
But, none of it prepared for what was observed yesterday at the Jackie Onassis Reservoir in Central Park.
.
As related in last blog entry, we sadly lost a nesting goose hen (Camille) several days ago at the Reservoir.  Though impossible to know what actually killed Camille, I personally suspect it might have had something to do with lack of sufficient nutritional build-up to sustain her through rigors of nesting (due to past brutal winter which kept geese moving to find food and open water).  Or, she might have been old or died from impacted egg that failed to drop.   It doesn't appear Camille died from some kind of infectious disease (as other birds are OK) or direct human cruelty.
.
But, as sad as I felt over the loss of Camille, I was even more distressed for her surviving gander, Brad who not only lost his potential offspring, but his life mate as well.
.
For several days, I watched as Brad forlornly patrolled the waters near the nesting site looking lost and alone.  
.
As there are recently few geese in Central Park and virtually all are already paired up and territorial, Brad's chances of finding a new mate or even a goose flock to assimilate with at this time were dismal at best.
.
Long term survival for "loner geese" is not good as sadly learned last summer with Cago at Harlem Meer.
.
So what would become of Brad?
.
I didn't know.  Hope was that he would eventually give up the mourning, leave Central Park and with luck, find a new goose flock elsewhere and succeed in efforts to fit it and be accepted.
.
A long shot, but not entirely without hope.
.
When first walking near the former nesting site last night, I did not see Brad in his usual area.  It was hoped that he had indeed "taken the leap" and left the Reservoir in search of new goose companionship somewhere outside of Central Park.
.
Then, all of a sudden, I heard loud, kind of enthusiastic honking coming from the middle of the water.
.
"Here, here, I'm over here!  Wait...I'm coming!"
.
I saw, what was surely Brad quickly swimming in my direction.
.
But, he was not alone!
.
There was another goose slowing trailing behind him!
.
I was completely baffled.   Who was this other goose? 
.
For several weeks, there have only been six geese at the Reservoir, all of them paired up.
.
At first, I thought the other goose might be "John" the gander from the west side who was in charge of guarding that territory for his nesting mate, Mary.
.
But, were that the case, the action would be far, far more aggressive -- not leisurely trailing behind. 
.
As I had already seen the goose pair from the east side, I knew it was neither of them.
.
The two geese continued to come to me, Brad, confidently leading the way, the mystery goose, a few feet behind.
.
Finally, they arrived to the rocky incline I was standing over and Brad pranced up the jagged edges and issued a greeting.
.
Noting how tentative the other goose was to navigate the tricky rocks, it was obvious the goose was new to the environment, but still trying to follow Brad's lead.  
.
Even more noteworthy, the goose was a female.
.
She was smallish in stature and appeared rather thin.
.
But, she was obviously looking to Brad for guidance and leadership through the new, unfamiliar terrain and he was obviously obliging.
.
I tossed a few kernels of cracked corn to both geese, Brad quickly scooping them up and his new companion (taking his lead) tentatively taking a couple.
.
But, I was still completely baffled as never having seen this type of thing before nor even read about it.
.
What were, after all, the chances of another "loner" goose suddenly flying into the Reservoir during typical nesting (non-migratory) season and finding the one gander who had lost his mate only four days before?
.
Add to that, the mystery goose certainly appeared to be a girl.
.
Realizing that the chances for that happening are just about zero with birds who are nearly always (barring tragedy or loss) in flocks or pairs, I still questioned what I was actually observing.
.
Perhaps this wasn't really Brad at all and some mystery life saving "angel" dropping out of the sky, but actually John and Mary from the west side of Reservoir?   Perhaps Mary had also lost her eggs and the two geese were reunited again?
.
Incredulous to that just witnessed, I finally left the two geese sharing a last few morsels of treat to go to the west side of Reservoir to check on John and Mary.
.
But, Mary was still on her nest and John was swimming and patrolling nearby as he always does.
.
There was little question that the gander seen a few minutes before was indeed, Brad, but still no clue as to who the new goose could possibly be.
.
I then returned back to the south side of Reservoir (Brad and Camille's former area) to find Brad and his mysterious new lady peacefully swimming together, she a few feet behind him.
.
No words or explanation for any of this. Nor guesses as to what will be.
.
Later, I shared the observations with my friend and fellow goose lover, Liliana over the phone and asked her thoughts.
.
Replied Liliana:
.
"I think, Patty, that Camille's soul could not bare the suffering of her gander all alone and sent an angel in this new goose to help and provide Brad companionship."
.
Because I have nothing better, that is as good an explanation as any.
.
And with that in mind, I will probably name the new girl, "Gabriele" (or Gabby for short), presuming she sticks around -- which I believe she will.
.
As they say, "The Lord acts in mysterious ways."
.
Who are we to actually question -- as opposed to simply accepting and taking relief and joy in?  -- PCA
.
.
.
                                         ************* 

No comments: