Friday, October 10, 2014

God's Animals -- The Majestic, Migratory Geese Passing Through!


Here comes the sun -- and the magical geese. 
A couple of mallards flocking with the geese.
Splendor in the sun.
Ah, the first trickle!
.
How fantastic was it this morning to go to the Jackie Onassis Reservoir in Central Park and see the first of what will surely be, many hundreds of Canada geese passing through over the next couple of months?  Very fantastic.
.
The geese briefly stop to rest before continuing on their long journeys south. In fact, when leaving the Reservoir, one flock of six geese took off, heading in a southern direction.
.
There were not many geese. I counted a total of 21 (before the six departed). They were scattered on the water and appeared to be perhaps three separate gaggles.
.
A few were curious and swam in my direction as if to say, "Hi."  I wasn't sure if the geese actually remembered me from last year or were just very human-friendly. Their sociability allowed for some reasonably nice photos.  Geese are very accommodating that way. Even lousy photographers can get good photos of geese.
.
Unfortunately and inexplicably, "Geese Police" is back in Central Park (a goose harassment company.) I say, "inexplicably" because their presence makes little sense this time of year -- especially with the low number of geese in the park. Geese flying into Central Park now are the early migrators and generally don't stay beyond a day or even just a few hours.
.
Geese arriving in mid December or early January are the ones who usually deem NYC and Central Park as a suitable spot for toughing out the harshest points of winter.  Almost always, they fly into the Reservoir to winter down as it is one of the few watercourses in Central Park that usually does not entirely ice over. (Unfortunately, last winter, it did.)
.
Moreover, the Reservoir is the only watercourse in CP that the geese are not subjected to  harassment as there is no accessibility to unleash the Border Collie to the water.
.
Its amazing how the geese already seem to know these realities. Geese apparently learn very fast -- and they remember from year to year.
.
I love all animals, but feel a special affinity for Canada geese -- a kind of spiritual and soul connection with them. I love their loyalty and devotion to each other. I love their beauty and regalness. I love their independence, sense of adventure and freedom. I love their friendliness and trust in people. I love their intelligence and smarts. I love their sense of peace and cooperation with other water birds (particularly, ducks) and I love their funny antics. 
.
In short, I love everything about Canada geese up to and including their veggie diet!
.
I realize I am a total "fanatic" and nut job about these black and tan birds with the white chin straps and gregarious honks, but there simply is a visceral kind of connection that just can't be explained. 
.
I truly believe Canada geese are God's Animals.
.
When seeing the flock of six geese suddenly taking off and heading south high over the morning sky, I said a silent prayer:
.
"Dear God, please watch and keep our beautiful geese safe from hunters' bullets and stormy skies and lead them safely to their destination. After all, they are Your animals." 
.
Yeah, call me a nut job and fanatic. In fact, I will take any accusation if it will help somehow to keep my forever majestic and purist of hearts, geese safe.  
.
Dear God......
.
.
.
                                                  ********

No comments: