Wednesday, February 25, 2015

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest! -- One Goose Throws Caution to the Wind


"Whoops!"
"OMG, what mess did I just get myself into?"
"Now that I'm here, do you have anything for me? I will patiently wait."
Miss Willow, the woodie, also taking risks tonight
And a parade of scrappy mallards trying to follow me home. "Not so fast, guys!"


It was a matter of time before one of the desperate geese would finally throw caution to the wind (literally) and brave it over the wrought iron fence at the Reservoir to land on the narrow, ice-covered, running track.
.
One plucky goose did tonight and then found herself surrounded by a bunch of scrappy, annoying ducks!  
.
The expression on her face was priceless.
.
"OMG, what did I get myself into?"
.
For the next ten minutes the hapless goose (who was too passive for her own good) stood with perplexed look as the greedy mallards practically engulfed her and grabbed every bit of food at her feet.
.
The only way the regal goose got anything at all was when I personally hand-fed her. Fortunately, for me, she was as polite with me as with the ducks, taking seeds gently from my hand, like a delicate debutante.
.
When finally consuming the equivalent of a gourmet appetizer, the goose left the craziness of the lowly duck mob behind her to return to her flock on the icy Reservoir -- her dignity a bit tattered, but still intact.
.
But, "Debby the haughty debutante" wasn't the only one to take risks tonight.  
.
Willow, the little female wood duck also ventured up to the icy running track. For a tiny and somewhat fragile appearing duck, Willow has demonstrated herself to be every bit as scrappy as her larger mallard cousins. She may be without mate and flock, but Willow is smart and has learned well how to make do with what she's got.
.
If the birds were a bit more adventurous and risk-taking tonight, its probably due to a combination of factors:
.
1-- They are simply more desperate. With watercourses still 99% iced over, grounds still covered in snow and fat reserves depleted, they have to be willing to take chances they would normally reject and scrap for what they can get.
.
2-- The winds had substantially subsided tonight, making flying easier. (Thank God for small favors.)  
.
3-- The red tail hawks weren't around.
.
Perhaps that helps explain why, when I finally left the Reservoir tonight, I had a squadron of ducks practically following me home.
.
Unfortunately, that would not have sat well with my landlady so I had to bade them a fond goodnight and send them on their way.
.
"Off with you now!  Tomorrow is another day!"  -- PCA
.
.
                                                        ********

No comments: